Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Heart Cath Fun!

Hmm...I'm not real sure if the word FUN belongs at the end of the word Heart Cath, but you have to make the best out of what you are given!


I have been M.I.A. in the blog world for about 2 weeks because I had a Heart Cath on July 19th. Yes, that is exactly 2 months after my wedding day. To celebrate, Tim let me squeeze his hand as hard as I could while they put an IV in my hand & took my blood. (I HATE, repeat HATE IVs and blood tests - everyone says I will make a great pregnant lady!) I couldn't have made it through the day without hand squeezing, kisses, hugs & prayers from my amazing hospital-rookie husband! I love you!

Pre-Heart Cath Roses from Tim

Pre-Heart Cath YUMMY Cupcakes from Christie & Ryan


After all the prep...sorry about the chin!




NOTE: I will try to post pictures in between the many paragraphs for your entertainment. Please know that I do realize I look white & puffy, but it's either that or no pictures! Also, I am not a doctor so I may not explain everything correctly, but I'll do my best!


Let me start at the beginning...


  • I was born with a heart defect - the diagnosis was transposition of the great arteries (TGA).
  • I had a shunt when I was little.
  • I had corrective open heart surgery when I was 11 & my nails became pink just like my sisters! To celebrate they bought me a manicure set & Troop Beverly Hills. I'm pretty sure we can all quote that movie...including my Dad & my Aunt Kathy!
  • I had a heart cath when I was in high school & they ballooned my valve.

Less than a month before I got married I had an MRI - my doctor just wanted to give me a peace of mind that everything was alright. Two days after Tim & I returned from the glorious St. Lucia we had a doctor's appointment to discuss the results. Our freshly sun-kissed faces were told that the right side of my heart was a little larger than it should be. This was because the valve had become more calcified and was narrowing - that made the right side pump harder. The right side of the heart is not supposed to work that hard. The doctor wanted to do a heart cath to evaluate the pressures in my heart & see if they could balloon the valve to open it up. If they were successful then it would buy me some more years before I had to have surgery to replace the valve.


As the words 'heart cath/surgery' came out of his mouth I immediately wanted to shut him out & start worrying - this is what I normally do when my Dad & Aunt Kathy are there because they can listen to all the important stuff & I can zone out. BUT, since they were not there I had to act my age & focus on what the doctor was saying & try to blink back the tears. Needless to say, it was not the news we wanted to hear on our 11th day of marriage, but over the past 2 months Tim & I have become closer than ever.



Sad Hospital Faces

So back to July 19th...

My entire family came to Houston for the big event - I was so excited because it is rare that you see a Panian in Houston! If only we could have gone to fun places around town...the hospital is no Children's Museum - right Ava?!?



Ava at Lupe Tortilla


The heart cath was only supposed to be a couple of hours, but I was in there for around 8 hours. They ballooned the valve a little & tried to put a stent in the valve. A stent is like a little spring to hold open the valve. They made 4 attempts, but they could not get the stent in the valve. I also developed a hematoma during the heart cath so I lost a lot of blood & now I am anemic (but don't worry I faithfully take my iron pill everyday so I will be back to normal in no time)! While I was in the recovery room the doctor (along with my family) came & told me that I was going to need surgery. I let the tears fall this time.



Tim helping me brush my teeth.

My encouraging Dad & his white marshmallow daughter!

Emili & Me

My private 'nurse' Aunt Kathy & her patient!

What a circus!

I was able to go home around 4pm the next day. My fam hung out & then everyone except my Dad & Mark went home on Saturday afternoon. Sunday morning around 2:30am I woke up to my heart beating in my head. It was pounding & I could feel it in my chest. I woke Tim & my Dad up & they decided that we should go to the ER. About 1 hour later - I had a new IV & my own room - they move fast when you say heart! The doctors decided they wanted to observe me another day in ICU. Apparently my heart started beating on a new rhythm so they gave me meds to slow it down. It was uncomfortable for most of the day, but I had my little servant Tim to serve me water, apple juice, diet coke, crackers and share my disgusting, yet yummy hospital food with. My dad also put me in my place when I started getting negative - he is always the best at making you look at the positive side.


Sharing my chicken noodle soup (homemade by Sunni) with Ava the day before!

Sunni & Ava flew back to Houston on Sunday night so she stopped by for a midnight visit...we had fun hearing about her day at church!



Monday my doctor came to see me. He said that sometime between 3-5am my heart went back to its normal rhythm. They didn't really know why...I do, it was definitely the Lord! He said I was free to go & I could go back to work the next day if I wanted to. Yeah right, did he not see the bruising that was starting to form - could he not see that I could barely walk standing straight? Apparently he could not feel the pain like I could.

That makes 2 hospital trips.

Custard Time!

Thankfully, Sunni & Ava stayed with me the entire week. It was so wonderful to have some company & lots of help doing simple things around the house. Also, I never get to spend days & days with my sister and my niece! We didn't do much because I couldn't walk for too long. The bruising was sore & I got tired pretty fast. Basically, we couched it, ate snacks & watched television. We did make it out to Target so I could get some new dresses for when I returned to work. I still can't wear pants because I am so swollen. Ava also entertained us with her tricks - saying 'nummy, nummy' when she wanted me to share my bottled water with her. I LOVED being with them. I'm crossing my fingers that I wasn't TOO boring so they will come stay with me another week after my surgery!


Ava falling asleep at lunch while eating fries.

Cookie Bouquet from SB & Joe

Flowers from Xavi's Mom

Flowers from Dan & Ashley

(I also received flowers from Alix & my work, but by the time I remembered to take a picture they were wilting...they were beautiful & I LOVED them!)


I have officially gone back to work & I am feeling much better. I am still sore & swollen, but hopefully that will improve each day. Now I am ready to get back to being normal & put the surgery in the Lord's hands! I want to say a special thank you to everyone for the emails, cards, flowers, food, calls & ESPECIALLY all the prayers for me, Tim, my family, the doctors & my heart. I cannot even begin to express how much it means to me. Whenever I heard people were praying I was like YES, I have an army of warriors behind me! Please keep the prayers going for the surgery. I will let everyone know the date once it has been scheduled. I was always taught that the Lord is the Ultimate Physician & Healer. I know this is true & I know He will be with me & give me strength & peace to get through all of this! He is the ULTIMATE!

9 comments:

annalee said...

i'm so proud of you attitude and couldn't agree more that God is the healer!
i've been praying for all the dr. and nurses' hands he uses too. and we haven't stopped praying for you!
thank you so much for the full recap/update.
and may i say you make a beautiful marshmallow head!
i hope to hug you (with gentle merlin arms) soon. i'll be calling!

Sarah Beth said...

Tiff, your heart will always be perfect in my eyes!!! I loved all the pictures throughout the process, I was hoping you would capture every moment!! Counting down to next weekend...

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

We will come back anytime...as long as there's lots of Hungry's, TCBY, and Big Love. Oh and maybe some Vietopia.

You've got an entire army of warriors praying for you. Nothing to worry about. Love you.

BigMomma said...

Tiffani,
We continually have you in our prayers. I'm glad things are going better and your on the mend.

Hang in there. God soooo has this all figured out.

carolinef said...

Tiffani-
I am so glad to read the update. I've been keeping up with you through Sunni's blog. I finally had to sign up for this blog thing so I could leave a message for you. Now I can leave one for SB too! So glad to know that things are going well for you and I hope they continue to do so. Maybe I should take a trip down to Houston soon! Take care!!!!! Love, Caroline

Natalie said...

Tiff-prayers are still going up for you from our family! Thanks for the explanation of all the medical terms, I was wondering exactly what happened! We love you!
N, K, and AG!

ps-Addie said you can come hang out with her anytime and I think we should start a blogging book club with our first set of books being the Christy Miller series!

elizabeth said...

Glad to see you're back!

Always stalking, never blogging,
-Rat

debra parker said...

I came over from Sunni's blog. I was praying for you...I am so glad that you received good news.

Janelle and Ella said...

Hi Tiffani. I'm Janelle, Sunni's friend in Irving. I just wanted to let you know that Sunni has so many people up here praying. We have been getting constant updates from her. We will definitely continue to pray. Thank you for the full recap.