Thursday, August 16, 2007

Raindrops on Roses & Whiskers on Kittens...

If you will please refer back to one of your favorite childhood movies…The Sound of Music. It is storming outside & the lovely Fräulein Maria is able to calm down the frightened children with a simple song, My Favorite Things.



This is NOT what our house looks like when it starts storming. How I wish Tim & I could just sing that song & make everything better! Stewart, our Pekingese, HATES any kind of storm - small or large. We can always tell when it is about to rain because he gets nervous, his eyes get big, he stares at the window, starts shaking & then panting. He loves to hide in tight spots…like a bookshelf (yes, he knocks everything out of the hiding spot before he settles in), a crevice in the closet, behind furniture, etc.


When a storm breaks out at night he sits on the bed - pants, licks his chops & watches the window for lightning. He hates lightning, but at the same time he is very intrigued by it. We try & make him snuggle with us, but it just doesn't do the trick - I think it makes him more nervous! So he tries to hide under the bed.




Clearly, there is not enough space for him to get under there, but somehow he does & gets stuck. Tim has to lift the bed up while I pull him out. Then he tries to get behind our dresser & gets stuck.




We finally found the perfect solution. The cabinet in our bathroom. We keep our beach towels/old towels in here - perfect for a dog bed. Last night Tim even made him a tent so he didn't have to see the lightning.





Stewart absolutely loves it & it is definitely one of his 'favorite things'…oh, he also loves 'brown paper packages tied up with strings'!

6 comments:

Allyson said...

I don't know how in the world you found a picture from The Sound of Music, but that's AWESOME! I completely love the world of blogging!!

LA said...

I love the tent! Tim is such a good doggy daddy! :)

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

I'm reliving this summer when Stewart got trapped under the guest bed in between the box spring and large fan while it was storming...in the middle of the night...with a sleeping baby in the room...with a husband that was "sleeping" and wouldn't help me pull him out.

Anonymous said...

I really couldn't tell you how I stumbled across your blog, but I loved reading it! Several things you said reminded me of myself. Anyways...just wanted to let you know who is out there reading your blog! (I always want to know!!!)

the thorntons said...

How funny!! Dog's personalities are amazing. Mine are definitely "cuddly" dogs during storms. Harley gets as far under the covers as she can. Hope Stewart makes it through the hurricane okay!!

annalee said...

oh poor stew... i hope he has been surviving okay with all the houston flooding and storms. but what a great husband you have that even made him a tent in the hideout. that is true love! nice work tim, i am impressed.