Friday, March 28, 2008

"It's a God Thing!" - Christy Miller

Let's all take a trip back to say...1991 or 1992. It was a summer afternoon & I am sure my mom wanted to occupy us girls. My life was about to change as she handed us a copy of a book called Island Dreamer by Robin Jones Gunn. Here is a little summary of the book from Robin's website...


Christy Miller is spending her sixteenth birthday on Maui with her family, Todd, and Paula, her best friend from Wisconsin! What could be better? But Christy soon finds that she and Paula don't have as much in common anymore. Christy wants to live for God more than anything, while Paula's obsessed with having a boyfriend...even if it means stealing Todd from Christy! Will he choose Paula over her? Or will the islands send Christy dreaming in new directions?



I immediately became obsessed with the book & Christy Miller...not to mention I had a HUGE crush on Todd Spencer. I probably doodled Tiffani Spencer on note pads. At the time I had no idea that Island Dreamer was Book 5 of The Christy Miller Series! You can imagine my excitement when I found out I could read about what happened to Christy pre-Maui!


Needless to say, Christy Miller was a VERY important part of my teenage/college/adult life. All my friends became obsessed too & I am pretty sure my little sister Emili & her BFF Liz re-read the books out loud to each other while driving to Arkansas with Lizzy's family. We all LOVED Christy. In fact, when I was in college I heard that she came out with updated Christy Miller books. For example, Christy now had a cell phone instead of using a pay phone...Christy has to stay up with the times! So of course I bought the entire set of updated Christy Miller books!



If anyone out there has a teenage daughter please go to the bookstore immediately & buy these books! Ok, so enough on Christy Miller. If you are a Christy Miller fan...SIT DOWN for this...


Thursday during lunch I was trying to find a book title for Sunni. It was a Robin Jones Gunn book so I went to her website, and saw this...


If you’re here because you’re a fan of the Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen books, I have great news for you! You can now catch up with Christy, Katie and the gang in Peculiar Treasures, book one of the new Katie Weldon Series.


OH. MY. GOSH. An entire series on Katie...this is Christy's BFF. I was dying! I immediately emailed my friends & we all agreed that we cannot wait to read this series! Thankfully, today was my day off so I could go to Borders and pick up my copy that I reserved last night. Phew!



So if you see me chatting with middle school girls about what is happening in the Katie Weldon series...it is completely normal. I know I am 28, but that is beside the point...Katie Weldon is my best friend too!


I know there are other Christy Miller fans out there too & I just wanted to let y'all in on my discovery!

Love,
Tiffani Spencer


P.S. If you want to read something a little more on the adult level, you should check out Robin Jones Gunn's Glenbrooke Series. I also own all of those books & I absolutely LOVE them!

23 comments:

Nat Pat said...

you are so fun! love the enthusiasm in your pics!

R said...

How funny! A little younger genre, but I was the same way with the Ramona series. I hope I can get my daughters interested in them too when they're older. :0)

And on another note, CUTE glasses!!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh Tiffani - My sister just brought me the Katie Weldon book last weekend at Easter and I couldn't put it down!! I forgot about our mutual love for Christy Miller! So fun :)

Allyson said...

I love the thoughtful pose with your glasses on...you look so intellectual!

BigMomma said...

I LOVE the Christy Miller series. I read every single book and was sooo sad when it all ended all though I did think it was a PERFECT ending!

I've gotta get that book!

a boy a girl and a pug said...

what a blast from the past. i heart christy miller. i'm going to have to check out the new series.

annalee said...

NO WAY!!! can i pretty please get in line to borrow the katie series. i am SO excited about the big news!!!

Sara S. said...

Tiffani, you are too cute! How exciting! Makes me think of the good ole middle school days. I also love the glasses. Very trendy!

jessica said...

I FORGOT about Christy Miller! Thanks for the reminder... I needed a smile today!

Johnson Family said...

Tiff, you are hilarious! I love reading your blog. Always so clever and witty. :-) So glad we can keep in touch with our blogs.

Kevin and Christie said...

Thanks Tiffany...you and Sunni inspire me to read more...you guys are crazy. I did want to see if you had ever heard of Kristen Billerbeck? http://www.kristinbillerbeck.com/ I saw her books in the Christian Fiction section at Barnes and Noble and they had really cool covers (which I am totally focused on) and thought you might know?

Sarah Beth said...

I hope they mention those "screaming blue eyes!"
HItting up Christian Bookstore tomorrow!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Overnight the Katie book to me as soon as you're done.

elizabeth said...

You know I loved those Christy Miller books too! I just started a new series that is so good. But it's about vampires so not sure that I'll blog about it. :)

Three Fold Cord said...

Girl I am sooooooo excited. I LOVED the series and will be going to get the peculiar treasures this week. Thanks for the info.

Katie said...

Tiffani, good to hear from you!

I LOVE CHRISTY AND TODD AND KATIE...! O my goodness! Brings back so many memories from 7th grade...

Natalie said...

Fabulous! I love it! I have so many memories of those books-like Christy in her 'string bean' green bathing suit!

sara lindsey said...

did i grow up under a rock? i am out-of-the-loop on these, but i do have a lot of spare time right now...

BigMomma said...

Tiffani....Sunni....

I finished all of them! Already! It was so exciting even though Vince was making fun of me the entire time!

Shannon said...

Hi, I'm Katie Rowe's sister in law and she told me I had to read this post. I can't tell you how many times I read the whole series. My set is like thread bare. :) Of course I still have the OLD set. I was so glad when she came out with the college ones and Christy's diary. :) I was probably in college but I still had to get it. I can't wait to check out this Katie series. Me and my friends talk about Christy, Todd, Katie and Doug like they are real people. To us they are!

Laura said...

Tiffani,
I can totally relate to your obsession with the Kristie Miller series. I was in love with Todd. I am tempted to read them again! I used to get to excited driving to the Bible Book Store in Abilene when a new book had come out.

Anonymous said...

Oh my word... how cool. I LOVED Christy Miller and have her books in the attic. I will have to update before Maddie (7 yrs) is old enough for them. I'm also planning on catching us with Tiffani-- My other favorite was Elizabeth Gail Dobbs series and I can only find them on ebay/amazon. Oh well...

Unknown said...

Whooooooooooaaaaaaaa, It's a God thing !!!
Hello Tiff , I'm Sara ( from Brazil )
I love these books , and I love you right now <3
thank you so much !!!!!!
ps: I'm sorry for comment like this, I'm new on English course .