Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A February Bronzing


The other day I decided that I was absolutely too pale to attend a wedding this weekend. The dress I am wearing shows my scar & I figured it would be less noticeable with a tan. In the past I have gone to the tanning beds to add some color to my face, but since I am trying to be healthy about the sun & since I have a scar that is not supposed to be in the sun for awhile, that option was out. So I thought I would give the spray on tan a whirl!
I Googled 'best sunless tanning Houston' and I found a place that won the 2007 -08 Best of Citysearch 'Best of Tanning'...I didn't want to be orange! I had two options. One, airbrush tan. Two, mist-on tan. Since the words airbrush tan remind me of body builders & pageant children I decided I would go with the mist-on tan. Although, I plan to try the airbrush tan for a special occasion one day! I hear it is fabulous!
I was a little nervous because this was my first time to do the mist-on tan, but they were very helpful & showed me exactly what to do. I was all prepared and ready to go. Once I was in the tanning box (which I must say was dark & kind of scary) I read the checklist on the wall. I gave myself a pat on the back for doing everything on the list. Pressed the first button. Pressed the second button. Got in my first pose, closed my eyes, took a deep breath, held it &
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
The first round of 'misting' SHOCKED me. I accidentally swallowed the mist because I was so freaked out I forgot that I wasn't supposed to take a breath. I had to calm down & get myself back in order because I only had 5 seconds to turn, get in the next pose, close my eyes & hold my breath. I got better as it went on, but I was ready to get out of that black box with the powerful mist/fan!
I now am the proud owner of a golden tan...although, I might call my hands a little tangerine. But, I am ready to put on that party dress!

18 comments:

Bicky said...

haha, i couldn't help but think of ross on friends when I read your post! glad you got it done... i know you look beautiful, as always!

good to be in touch!

Kevin and Christie said...

Awesome! It is good that you followed directions instead of pulling a Ross and not turning! I agree they are totally scary...dark and very powerful mist!

elizabeth said...

I love mystic tan! And to tag onto everyone's Ross comment...I was just watching that episode the other day and thought of the same thing. :)

Sara S. said...

You look great! I also tried mystic once and swallowed it! It is kind of stressful to hold your breath while you are being sprayed in the face!

Cindy said...

I did that last year for Easter and was about 5 shades darker than the rest of the family! Everybody really thought I was the kids nanny!

Melissa said...

I found your blog through someone else's page...I did the except same thing, except I couldn't calm down! I started freaking out, inhaling more, worrying about all the stuff going in my mouth! Afterwards and now it's quite funny to think about!! it looks great though, have fun at the wedding :)

Kelly said...

You look great!!! I am feeling VERY pasty white myself. I love to lay out in the summers and I used to go to the tanning bed (way too much!) but I'm terrified of skin cancer now so I've just gone pale. But today I just couldn't take it anymore so I went to the store and boughts some Jergens tanning lotion .......I'm hoping that will give me a little color to tide me over until spring.
You'll have to post pics of you in your cute dress with your great tan! :-)

Dionna said...

Never done this. It would be fun - but weird the first time.
I use Jergens Natural glow lotion. I love it and need to start using it soon as spring is just around the corner!

the thorntons said...

That has always made me so nervous!! You are BRAVE, girl! It looks great. Thanks for the tip on now swallowing it!

Natalie said...

Looks good! I totally had the Ross memory too!

Shannon said...

I've always wondered about that. It's nice to have a report from a reliable source on the front lines. You look so summery!

xoxo

Mario and Andrea Rodriguez said...

I have a fabulous airbrush tanner lady in the heights. She sprayed me for all my wedding events and she is fabulous! Just email me if you want her info!
- have fun!
dre

Mrs. Joyce said...

You are quite beautiful! I've been thanking God day after day that you are fully recovered and only thinking about covering the scar. Love your blog, your dog, your pics with Ava, your cute hubby, and the name of your team--Marlene's Girls. Blessings to you.

Hillary said...

Funny you should mention that, just this week I started feeling white and blah! Maybe its b/c its warming up and I see all the cute clothes out for spring. I don't want to go to the tanning bed either! I think I might try the air brush and see! I figure I should do it now while I can cover up if it turns out awful!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

Mystic tan machines are terrifying. You're alone, and afraid. but the end result is worth it!

mandy said...

YAY FOR SPRAY!!!!

sara lindsey said...

should have read this post earlier. i went to a wedding tonight and my extremities were brighter & whitier than the bride's dress. nice.
love you, pastey

Jamie said...

Found your blog thru another blog I read. Love the tan!! I've tried the airbrush(the one where someone sprays you) and absolute loved it. Just didn't like the fading part,I looked like I had some kind of fungus,haha.